This banana bundt cake tastes AMAZING and while I love it on it’s own, the simple brown sugar glaze takes it to another level! This is one of those cakes that never lasts long- everyone is going to want a piece (or three). ;0)
I love making bundt cakes because they are so quick and easy. There’s no need to make a frosting and filling as with layer cakes, which take a lot longer to decorate. All a bundt cake needs is maybe a glaze if you’re feeling fancy ;0). In this case, we added a great brown sugar glaze (yum) which couldn’t be simpler to make.
How to Make a Banana Bunt Cake
- Preheat the oven and grease and flour your bundt pan (Bake at 350 unless you are using a dark pan. If it’s dark, bake at 325).
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the dry ingredients and blend for 30 seconds to make sure that everything is evenly distributed and well mixed.
- Add the softened butter to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- In a separate bowl, slice and mash the bananas, add lemon juice, eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla and buttermilk and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the banana/buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients beating on medium speed for 1 minute, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and beat another minute.
- Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake springs back lightly when touched, or a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs attached.
- After cooling the cake in the pan on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes, flip out onto your cake pedestal or cake base. Prepare the brown sugar glaze and add butter pecans for a fabulous final touch. Enjoy!
For the Cake
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 3 cups (342g) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (3g) cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (12g)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (3g)
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
- 12 tablespoons (170g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1 /2 cup mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (8g) vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (363g) buttermilk
For the Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the Buttered Pecans (optional topping)
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- Pinch of salt
For the Banana Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, (325 If you are using a dark pan) Grease/spray & flour a bundt pan.
In the mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients, sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, & salt. Turn on the mixer and blend for 30 seconds to incorporate ingredients
Add the softened butter to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl
In a separate bowl, slice and mash the bananas, add lemon juice, eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla and buttermilk. Lightly mix these ingredients with a fork to blend
Slowly add the banana/buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients beating on medium speed for 1 minute, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and beat another minute.
Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool the cake for 10 minutes on a cooling rack and then flip out onto cake pedestal/cake base.
For the Brown Sugar Glaze
Heat the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to simmer and the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool until it thickens to desired consistency. *I put mine into a disposable piping bag with the tip snipped away for more control.
For the Buttered Pecans
Combine melted butter and chopped pecans until pecans are well coated. Spread onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 5-6 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure they they do not burn. Sprinkle over the glaze (if the glaze has already set, lightly push the chopped pecans into it.)