This Brownie Ice Cream Sundae Cake is so easy to make, and if you like brownie sundaes, you’re going to LOVE this decadent, chocolatey dessert!
I love easy desserts and I love desserts that have lots of chocolate- this brownie sundae dessert checks those boxes and more. It’s one of those recipes that can be changed up in so many different ways.
Today, I made a Mint Chocolate Chip Version of Brownie Ice Cream Sundae Cake, but you could easily swap in peanut butter ice cream, strawberry ice cream, cookies & cream, and more. I love that this one recipe can be made a hundred different ways, from changing the type of ice cream to the type of cookie crumbles, and sundae toppings. Yum!
How to make Easy Brownie Ice Cream Sundae Cake
- This Brownie Ice Cream Sundae Cake is a layered dessert that starts with brownies!
- You can use your favorite recipe whether a scratch recipe like my Homemade Brownies or Best Fudgy Brownies or your favorite box brownie mix. Bake the recipe in an 9×13 dish, and allow to cool. (If your box brownie mix calls for a 9×9 inch pan, go ahead and use the 9×13. I like the brownies to be fairly thin since this is a frozen dessert.)
- Once the brownies have cooled, top with chocolate syrup and crushed Oreos.
- Next, top with softened Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (or your ice cream of choice). Then, top with another drizzle of syrup.
- Next, add dollops of whipped topping and spread across the top of the dessert.
- Top it all off with more chocolate drizzles and crushed Oreos.
Oh so gooood! Now, secure foil over the pan and freeze for at least three hours.
- **When it is time to serve, allow the brownie ice cream sundae dessert to thaw for about 10-15. If you try to slice it immediately after removing from the freezer, it will be difficult to slice. It’s better to let it sit out a little while to begin softening, then slice with a hot knife.
Brownie Recipe (This is our Fudgy Brownie recipe)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ice cream- (We used a 1.5 quart carton of Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip)
- 1 Cup Chocolate Syrup
- Oreos (Approximately 20-25), crushed
- Cool Whip (A small container will perfectly cover the top of the dessert. Buy the larger container if you like to have additional to dollop on each serving.)
For the Brownies
- Prepare/grease a 9x13 inch pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat
- Beat eggs and combine with melted butter and chocolate mixture.
- Add sugar, flour, salt, cocoa, vanilla and blend until well combined
- Spread into prepared 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. If toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached, it's ready.
Assembling the Dessert
- After baking the brownies, allow them to cool completely in the pan.
- Drizzle with about 1/2 cup chocolate syrup over brownies and Oreos (adjust amount to your liking)
- Sprinkle most of crushed Oreos over brownies and chocolate, reserving desired amount for the top.
- Soften Ice Cream. I like to move it to a bowl so that I can mash it as it begins to melt and help it too soften.
- Scoop softened ice cream in dollops over brownies and spread with a hot spatula.
- Top with a drizzle more of chocolate syrup.
- Gently spread whipped topping over the top.
- Sprinkle with remaining crushed Oreos and desired amount of chocolate syrup.
- Cover pan with foil and freeze the dessert for at least three hours.
- Allow to sit out for about 10 minutes or so before serving so that you can more easily slice through the brownie layer.
Looking for More Chocolate Desserts? Try These Favorite Easy Recipes!