Ahhhh….Chicken with Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Cream Sauce over Polenta– this recipe tastes just as amazing as it sounds. And guess what? It’s SO easy. Maybe it’s because we almost always have these ingredients on hand- and a quick trip to the store for a rotisserie chicken is totally worth it!
I love this cream sauce so much that I would pour it over everything if I could! A little heavy cream, a little chicken broth…some bacon, mushrooms and parmesan– it has so much flavor! Add to it chicken and spoon it over polenta (or rice or pasta) and you have a dish that will instantly earn a place in the weekly dinner rotation (:
How to Make Chicken with Parmesan Mushroom Cream Sauce
I like to use rotisserie chicken from the store, and just slice it into smallish pieces and set aside. (Of course you can bake chicken breasts or tenders if you would rather not buy a pre-roasted chicken!) Doing it this way, I feel like every bite of chicken is smothered in sauce and I love it!
In a skillet, cook 4 slices of bacon until crisp and set aside. Keep the bacon drippings in the pan. (You can remove a little if you like, but don’t take it all away, you’ll love the flavor that it adds!)
Add a little butter to the skillet and saute the sliced mushrooms until they are tender. Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper.
Next, add 3/4 cup chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Then, add the heavy cream and stir to combine. Add the chicken and bacon, then simmer for about 4-5 minutes until thickened. Finally, add the grated cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Yum!
*This is a very forgiving recipe– if you prefer more sauce, or if the chicken absorbs too much of your sauce and you need a little more, just pour a little more cream and chicken broth to make up for it as it simmers.
This sauce is wonderful over rice or pasta…but my favorite is to serve it over polenta–either creamy style, or a slice of warm polenta. Mmmmmm….
Here’s another night, with creamy polenta instead… yum!
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken (which roughly comes out to around 2 cups of white meat and 1 cup of dark)
- 4 slices of bacon
For the Polenta
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to your liking)
- 2 cups corn polenta
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper (adjust to your liking)
For the Cream Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (adjust to your liking)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Polenta (this is from our perfect polenta recipe)
- In a deep pan, bring water with salt added to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir frequently to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of your pan. If you want a creamy polenta (think grits consistency), cook about 5-10 minutes. If you want to serve over sliceable polenta wedges, stir until very thick (about 30 minutes). Watch out- as it gets hot and thick, it may splatter!
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and Parmasean cheese. If making the thick wedges of polenta, spoon into oiled dish or bowl- I like to use a 10 inch pie dish. Once it cools and sets, you can leave it in the dish, or you can flip it out onto a serving plate and unmold it.
For the Chicken & Cream Sauce
- Heat skillet over medium high heat and cook bacon until crispy. Set bacon aside on a paper towel and crumble once cool. I like to leave at least a tablespoon of the bacon drippings in pan for flavor.
- Add tablespoon of butter to the pan and add sliced mushrooms as well as a light sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cook until tender.
- To the pan, add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add the heavy cream and stir to combine. Add the chicken and bacon, simmer about 4-5 minutes to thicken. Add the parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon chicken over warm polenta. Enjoy!
Makes about 4 servings
This is a great sauce to serve with pasta and rice as well. Need a little more sauce? You can adjust amounts as you go. This is a very forgiving recipe!