Today I’m sharing my favorite recipe for an EASY and delicious Black Bean Soup! I love Mexican food and this homemade black bean soup recipe not only tastes amazing, but it can be thrown together in no time at all!
Although I make this soup year-round, I especially love to make it in colder months. It’s really hearty without being heavy, and it’s filled with lots of great ingredients that are perfect together: black beans, mushrooms, onions, red pepper, salsa, and green chiles. Yum! There’s just something so calming and cozy about a bowl of soup after a long day… or a cold day…or any day.
This black bean soup is perfect for lunch or dinner and can easily be doubled so that you are sure to have leftovers! Trust me, you’ll want leftovers.
One thing that you’ll notice in my instructions below is that I often like to use an immersion blender in my soups to up the level of creaminess. I don’t blend the entire batch of soup– but just long enough to change the consistency a little.
I do this step when making my white chicken chili too. I think it’s a great way to combine the flavors– plus I love how it changes the consistency.
Now, let’s dive into this soup recipe!
How to make easy and delicious Black Bean Soup:
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and saute onions, mushrooms, and peppers until tender and onions are translucent. (About 5 minutes).
- Add seasonings
- Pour in chicken broth, canned black beans, green chiles, and salsa. Look at this goodness! Love these flavors together.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- As an optional step, I like to use our immersion blender to partially blend the soup, creating a creamier consistency. It’s easy to get carried away with this step but you’ll want to use it sparingly- we still want our ingredients to be recognizable (:
This isn’t the prettiest picture, haha but you get the idea.
And that’s it! I love to serve this homemade black bean soup with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of shredded Monterey Jack cheese for garnish. Add corn chips or even better, our fabulous easy southern cornbread for the perfect meal!
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Large Vidalia/Sweet Onion
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Red or Orange Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained
- 2 cups Chicken Broth (vegetable broth is fine also)
- 3/4 cup Chunky Salsa
- *Optional 1 - 4 oz. can chopped Green Chiles
- Garnish with Sour Cream & Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot and saute onions and mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Add chopped pepper and saute a minute more.
- Add seasonings
- Add Chicken Broth, Black Beans, Green Chiles, and Salsa and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender in your pot of soup to partially blend your soup for a creamier consistency. Be careful not to over-blend.
- Makes about 8 servings