Today I’m sharing one of my all time favorites- a super easy, incredibly delicious Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting recipe! If you love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, this is a recipe that you’re going to need in your life. Ahhhh… it’s just SO good– super creamy and full of wonderful peanut butter flavor.
Best of all, even if you’ve never made a frosting in your life, this recipe couldn’t be easier to throw together. And once you do, your chocolate cakes and cupcakes will never be the same!
I recently made a post using this frosting on chocolate cupcakes which you can find here- Easy Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes. If you love Reese’s cups (which of course you do if you’re reading this post), they make a great topper for your peanut butter & chocolate cakes and cupcakes!
What Makes This the BEST Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting?
- There are so many reasons to love this peanut butter frosting. First, it has a great creamy consistency. This has a lot to do with the kind of peanut butter that you use. Of course you want to stay away from crunchy peanut butter for this one (: but also, creamy brands of peanut butter like JIF work so much better than “natural” peanut butter options.
- This peanut butter frosting works perfectly for frosting cakes as well as piping! Some peanut butter frostings are only good for using as a filling, but this one spreads really nicely and also holds it’s shape for piping borders or swirls or whatever you like.
- Lots of flavor! The most important reason to love this peanut butter frosting is the flavor- one spoonful is all it takes for you to become completely addicted. It’s has so much peanut butter flavor but the consistency is lighter and smoother thanks to the butter in the recipe- and has a sweetness from the confectioners sugar.
This recipe makes a great frosting as well as a great filling which can be spread between cake layers or injected into the centers of your cupcakes! You can also mix a few mini chocolate chips into the peanut butter frosting for a great filling between your chocolate cake layers.
I could go on and on about this recipe but really you just have to try it for yourself! You are going to love it!
Thanks for stopping in! Don’t miss our Recipes section for even more favorites!
Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup ( 255 grams) Creamy Peanut Butter Do Not Use Natural or Reduced Fat. We have used Jif and Peter Pan Creamy brands.
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 4 c. (460g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) milk plus 2 Tablespoon - use more if needed to reach the consistency you like
- 2 teaspoons ( 8 grams ) vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- In the bowl of your mixer add the butter and mix on medium speed until the butter is softened and smooth. Add the peanut butter and mix until blended.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar alternately with the milk. Add vanilla. Mix on medium speed 4 to 5 minutes until smooth.
*This makes about 4 cups of frosting.