IRice Krispie Treats… everyone knows and adores them… but what recipe is the best? I can answer that question- this one! I know i might be biased, but trust me, this is the crispiest, ooey-gooey-est, most sharable recipe out there.
I am known for being the “mom” of the lunch table since I love to bring in snacks and other special desserts for my friends, just to brighten their days (and my own), but a personal favorite of theirs are my homemade Rice Krispie Treats! Luckily, this is a request I can deliver on because making them is so quick and surprisingly simple.
Aside from the fact that I could eat Rice Krispies Treats every day of the week and never get tired of them, I also love how fast you can whip up a batch! When I’m in the mood for something sweet (which is always), these never disappoint.
I know that these can be bought pre-made but don’t even think about it! The homemade version is SO much better!! There’s no comparison. Just keep a big box of Rice Krispies and some marshmallows so you’ll be ready when the mood strikes!
How to make the BEST Homemade Rice Krispies Treats
- First, melt the butter over low heat.
- Next and most importantly, coat a large plastic spoon or spatula with vegetable shortening or butter. This will allow you to stir your marshmallows without creating a huge sticky mess.
- Add marshmallows and stir over low heat until melted– (you can stop just short of melting completely if you like gooey marshmallow pockets in your Rice Krispies Treats). Add salt and vanilla.
- Add cereal and stir until well combined.
- Lightly grease a pan or casserole dish (9×13 inches) with butter or vegetable shortening and fill with your treat mixture.
- With a shortening/butter coated spatula, spread and press the mixture.
- Cool for about an hour and cut into servings (I can never wait that long)! Oh so good!
- 1/2 cup Butter (I use unsalted)
- 10 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies Treats (buy a 12 oz. box)
- Pinch Salt
- 3/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Melt butter over low heat. Don't brown it.
- Coat Spoon/Spatula with vegetable shortening or butter to make it non-stick.
- Add marshmallows. Add vanilla and salt. Stir over low heat until melted. (If you like gooier pockets of marshmallows, you can stop stirring before completely melted).
- Add cereal to melted marshmallows and stir with spatula lightly coated with butter until well combined.
- Butter/lightly grease a 9x13 pan or dish and fill with the cereal treat mixture.
- With a lightly greased spatula or back end of a large spoon, spread and press the mixture into the pan.
- Cool for 1 hour for easiest slicing.