This White Chicken Chili is one of my favorites for cold winter days, or any day! It is so easy to make, and SO delicious.
This hearty soup is a flavorful combination of white beans, chicken, onions, peppers, and just a little bit of a kick from green chiles and cayenne pepper. I can literally throw the ingredients into a pot in about 15 minutes but you’d never know it from the final result!
How to Make the BEST White Chicken Chili:
First, chop & mince your your onions and garlic. Ahhhh…the sign of any good recipe is onions and garlic. Saute in a large saucepan along with oil, chile peppers and seasonings until tender.
Next, everything else! Add your chicken broth, shredded chicken, and white beans and allow to simmer for thirty minutes to let the magic happen.
By the way, I usually just use a pre-roasted chicken from the grocery store for this recipe. Easy!
And here it is! You can just dive right in, or if you’re feeling fancy you can top it off with red peppers, Monterey Jack cheese and a little sour cream! I added a few tortilla chips because any excuse to add tortilla chips is a good one. Yum!!!
I love soups that feel very hearty, and as you can see, in this soup you can easily spot all of the yummy components.
If you’re not a fan of chunky-style soup, just grab an immersion blender while the soup is still in the pot, and blend it a little. When I do this step, I don’t like to pulverize everything…just enough to give it a slightly creamier consistency. It’s up to you!
One of my favorite things about this soup is that it has big flavor without being overly heavy. It’s just right, and healthy too! I hope you’ll give it a try soon- your family and friends will love it!
- 1 Tablespoon Oil (vegetable or olive)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-4 oz. can of chopped green chile peppers
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (pre-roasted chicken is fine)
- 3 cups white beans
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook onion. Mix in garlic, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook until tender (approximately 3 minutes)
- Mix in the chicken broth, chicken, and white beans--simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove mixture from the heat. Spoon into bowls and garnish with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, peppers, and sour cream. Tortilla chips optional.
Approximately 6 servings
We often double this recipe so that we have plenty of leftovers.
If we don't have any chicken, we either substitute with ham, or have no meat at all. If not using any meat, you can either add an additional can of beans (or slightly reduce the amount of chicken broth) to get the desired thickness.